On Sunday I leave New Zealand, for an epic three-month Metal Odyssey across Europe and the Middle East. I’m travelling with my beloved husband, CDH, my BFF, Lin, and our good and very metal friend Jonowar.
Our trip goes as follows:
- July 19 – leave NZ. Fly to Dubai, then Hamburg, without crashing on the way (thank you very much)
- July 20 – arrive in Hamburg, Germany, pick up our CAMPERVANOWAR. Sleep.
- July 22 – Prague, Czech Republic. Castles and sausages.
- July 24 – Vienna, more sausages and castles.
- July 26 – Churburg, Italy.
- July 28 – return to Hamburg for WACKEN OPEN AIR.
- August 2 – Die.
- August 3 – recover from Wacken-induced death. Travel to Brugges.
- August 4 – walk around Brugges quoting lines from the movie and eating lots of chocolate.
- August 5 – England – Castles, pubs, train museums and Jethro Tull. (and driving a left-side van on a left-side road)
- August 14-16 – BloodStock Open Air
- August 18 – Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden). Vikings, fjiords, reindeer, nekkid bogan saunas, and many photoshoots of us throwing the goat.
- Sept 11 – return campervan to Hamburg, now thoroughly sick of the sight of each other. Jonowar and Lin leave for their respective destinations, and CDH and I go on to Turkey.
- Sept 12 – Turkey. Hummus and Troy and Galipoli and more hummus and Cappadocia and Ephesus and a balloon ride and did I mention the hummus?
- Sept 28 – Syria. Crac des Chevaliars, Damascus and probably more hummus.
- October 2 – Jordan. Hangin’ with the bedouin.
- October 10 – Egpyt. Pyramids and headbanging to Nile while cruising on the Nile.
- October 20 – Home to Auckland. Sleep for ten years.
So yeah, that’s where I’ll be. Follow along on the Steff Metal blog and my twitter feed. I’ll be posting pictures and humorous stories of misadventure, alongside my regular posts.
Despite being born there, CDH hasn’t returned to England, or got further than Australia, so this trip will be great for him. Me? I was born to travel. I’ve been to Aus, to England, Scotland, Isle of Mann, Hong Kong, France, LA, Greece, Crete and Thailand before, and I’ve been planning this trip for about six years now.
We’ve kept our itinerary as metal as possible, taking in three festivals (one non-metal one, but Jethro Tull is still quite epic), and the most metal countries of all the world – Scandinavia. We’ve researched hundreds of castles and brought a new camera to accurately capture the epicness. I’ve packed my black t-shirts and we’re ready to go (more on that later).
If only sunday would hurry up and come.
Are you guys doing any travel this year? Where are you going? What’s your favorite place to visit?
Super Snuggles and Shoggoth Kisses