We all have them – our guilty music pleasures. The bands we turn down when the phone rings. The CDs we hide in our sock drawers in the hope our kreig mates won’t find them, the MP3’s we store under the codename ‘backup files’ on our iPods.
I’ve brought a few embarrassing albums in my time – Spice Girls, Ricky Martin (I know, I can’t believe it either), and that cute Irish girl band, B*Witched. While we do occasionally drag them out for dancing at random parties, I don’t actually listen to them anymore.
But the songs / bands on this list … I still love them. I know. I’m terrible. Please don’t hurt me.
- 1. The Rasmus. Hot, hot, HOT Finnish beauty Lauri. SIGH. Rasmus love. I will NEVER apologise for loving these guys. CDH hates it when I tell him he looks like Lauri.
- 2. Avril Lavigne. I love her voice. Her new album – The Best Damn Thing – is pretty crap, though. But as far as attitude-girl-pop goes, it ain’t half bad.
3. AFI. I don’t like all of their stuff, but Sing the Sorrow and December Underground are brilliant albums. Their lead singer is butt ugly, but boy can he work it.
4. Incubus. They’ve got this whole Sunday afternoon smooth-as-mustard style.
5. Suzi Quatro. She’s totally rockin’.
6. CDH insists Nick Cave should be on this list. I disagree. Nick Cave is cool. Perhaps my all-consuming obsession with him isn’t, though.
7. The Black Eyed Peas. I can’t explain why “My Humps” makes me want to dance SO MUCH.
8. Shonen Knife. They’re this crazy Japanese all-girl pop band. I’ve been listening to them since the early 90s. They sing about ice-creams and wind-up toys and going for a picnic.
9. Mago de Oz. I do not understand why eveyone hates them. Tin whistle in a metal band? What’s not to love?
10. Manowar. They make me feel all warm and giggly inside.
What are YOUR Embarrassing music loves? C’mon, don’t let me be the only one admitting these horrible, HORRIBLE beasts still get regular air-time in my shitty 90s stereo.
Super Snuggles and Shoggoth Kisses